It is all too easy to get sucked into society’s all consuming vortex, sapping every last drop of your soul in its bid to make us all good little proles. Here is how it works so you and I can be aware of when we are curtailing our own lives to make them a little bit shitter. Say “fuck you” to society’s conditioning!
- GOING THROUGH THE MOTIONS. Don’t get bogged down in the humdrum daily details of life, such as relentlessly scouring the internet for minimum wage jobs in a 10 mile radius, worrying about debt, trying desperately to make ends meet and fit everything in. Basically this gets us not pursuing what matters to us; following our passions and our gifts to the world.
- IT’S JUST PAPER. Don’t go following the money because you think that is what you are supposed to do. If you constantly map your life following bits of paper its a surefire recipe for depression.
- PESSIMISM/REALISM. Don’t go taking options because they are “realistic” rather than what you really want to do. “Realistic” roughly translates as “shit all over your dreams”. Have you ever noticed how pessimists conflate their pessimism with realism?
- TIME WASTING. Don’t go wasting your time applying for jobs and working in jobs that you know are beneath your value and bring you no joy, because it will bring some money in for the time being – a means to an end.
- RANKING YOURSELF AS UNIMPORTANT. Don’t go Putting yourself bottom of the pile of commitments, regularly. This is especially true of mothers: yes your kids need x y and z but don’t you need things too?
- PROCRASTINATION. You might find yourself listening to, reading about and understanding how you are preventing yourself from improving your life and then not putting anything into action. It’s one thing being aware, then procrastinating… but for years? Surely you are just putting off your dreams because of your fear of failure/success. Action is the only thing that will change your life!
- MAKING EXCUSES- This is where you follow in line with old patterns of limiting self beliefs. If you always do what you have always done, then you will always get what you always got.
- ACTIVELY AVOIDING OPPORTUNITIES to follow your dreams, making sure you spend all your time following the money or engaging in the humdrum details of daily life. When an opportunity to get involved with something you love presents itself to you, grab it man! Don’t say you don’t have time, or convince yourself you will do it later. Do it now and learn as you go.